The name of our parish paper, Contra Mundum, comes from the Latin phrase “Athanasius contra mundum” meaning “Athanasius against the world.” This phrase described our patron saint even in his own time, as he stood firmly for the fullness of the faith.
Fr. Bradford and the Congregation of Saint Athanasius have published Contra Mundum monthly since 1998 to provide religious instruction and news of the congregation. Contra Mundum includes articles and sermons by Fr. Bradford, articles and other writings by noted classic and contemporary authors, news and notes for the congregation, and announcements of upcoming events.
Parishioners as well as many outside the congregation subscribe. To receive Contra Mundum by mail, email the editor, Susan Russo, with your address.
The three most recent issues follow. The archives with all of the back issues are here.
- “Coming into His Royal Presence,” an excerpt by The Provost from The Oratory Parish Magazine
- “Gods Conscientious Attention” by Fr William M. Joensen from the 2018 Magnificat Advent Companion
- “The Mouthpiece of the Infallible Church,” an excerpt from Meditations for Layfolk by Fr Bede Jarrett, OP, an English Dominican priest and founder of the Blackfriars, Oxford
- “Sermons Aimed at Them” by Father Bradford
- “Within the Scope of Peace” by Pope Saint Leo the Great
- “Why We Fast” by Fr Richard Veras, a priest of the Archdiocese of New York and director of pastoral formation and a professor in St Joseph’s Seminary
- “The Three Notable Duties,” an excerpt of a sermon by Saint Peter Chrysologus (c.380-450), a Doctor of the Church.
- “Called to Fullness” by the Provost from The Oratory Magazine
- “The Pride of the Believer” by Saint Bernardino of Siena
- “The Most Holy Name” by Richard Rolle of Hampole
- “Placed at the Feet of Christ,” a sermon by Father Bradford
- “Its Already Been Done” by David Mills, a contributing editor of the New Oxford Review
- “The Issue Does Not Go Away” by Monsignor William M. Helmick
- “The Truths We Teach” by Saint Augustine
- “An Informed Conscience” by Father Bradford
- “Our First Chaplain” by Fr Bradford
- “A Letter from Mexico” by parishioner, David Burt
- “Our Lady of Guadeloupe” by Fr Bradford
- “Advent: The Beginning of the Church’s Year” and “Collect for Advent”
- “St Thomas Becket” from Magnificat magazine