The name of our parish paper, Contra Mundum, comes from the Latin phrase “Athanasius contra mundum” meaning “Athanasius against the world.” This phrase described our patron saint even in his own time, as he stood firmly for the fullness of the faith.
Fr. Bradford and the Congregation of Saint Athanasius have published Contra Mundum monthly since 1998. to provide religious instruction and news of the congregation. Contra Mundum includes articles and sermons by Fr. Bradford, articles and other writings by noted classic and contemporary authors, news and notes for the congregation, and announcements of upcoming events.
Parishioners as well as many outside the congregation subscribe. To receive Contra Mundum by mail, email the editor, Susan Russo, with your address.
The most recent issues follow. The archives with all of the back issues are here.
- “The Only-begotten Son of God” by The Revd Deacon Michael J. Connolly, Archdeacon in the Armenian Catholic Eparchy of Our Lady of Nareg in the United States and Canada and assistant professor of linguistics in Boston College. He often assists at our Mass.
- “To Keep a True Lent,” a poem by Robert Herrick, a 17th century English poet and clergyman.
- “Thinking of His Mother,” a sermon preached by Fr Bradford.
- “How Shall We Repay the Lord?” by St Basil the Great, bishop, theologian of distinction, monastic founder, and one of the Four Greek Doctors of the Church.
- “The True Vision of Things,” a sermon by Fr Joseph F Wilson, priest of he Diocese of Brooklyn and a long-time friend of our congregation.
- “For Those Who Suffer on Account of the Cross of Christ” by John Pontifex, press officer for Aid to the Church in Need
- “Why Are We Here?,” a sermon preached by Timothy Cardinal Dolan, Archbishop of New York, at the Mass of the Vigil for Life, January 18, 2018
- “You Have to Have Peter” by Pope Leo the Great
- “A Mutual Relationship,” an excerpt from School for Prayer by Archbishop Anthony Bloom
- “The Love of God for Souls,” a sermon preached by Father Bradford
- “Goodness Gives Itself Away” by Bishop Robert Barron
- “The issue Does Not Go Away,” an article by Monsignor William M. Helmick
- “Before the Miracle,” a sermon by Father Bradford
- “Latecomers to the Faith,” an article from The Oratory Parish Magazine, the parish paper of the London (Brompton) Oratory
- “Offering Envelopes – Why and How,” a letter from the Finance Committee
- “The Name of Jesus,” an excerpt from the treatise, Against Heresies, by Saint lrenaeus
- “Invoking the Holy Name,” an excerpt from Prayer for Beginners, by parishioner Peter Kreeft
- “Charitable Giving,” a list of recommended charities from Father Bradford
- “He Has Said Everything in Christ,” an excerpt from a treatise on The Ascent of Mount Carmel by St John of the Cross
- “Protocol on Receiving Communion” by Father Bradford
- “Preaching Goes Ahead,” an article from a homily on the gospels by Pope Saint Gregory the Great