The name of our parish paper, Contra Mundum, comes from the Latin phrase “Athanasius contra mundum” meaning “Athanasius against the world.” This phrase described our patron saint even in his own time, as he stood firmly for the fullness of the faith.
Fr. Bradford and the Congregation of Saint Athanasius have published Contra Mundum monthly since 1998. to provide religious instruction and news of the congregation. Contra Mundum includes articles and sermons by Fr. Bradford, articles and other writings by noted classic and contemporary authors, news and notes for the congregation, and announcements of upcoming events.
Parishioners as well as many outside the congregation subscribe. To receive Contra Mundum by mail, email the editor, Susan Russo, with your address.
The three most recent issues follow. The archives with all of the back issues are here.
- “Camino de Santiago Pilgrimage” by parishioner Steven Hardy
- “Our Lady of Walsingham” (and the four four feasts in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary in September)
- “A Coin Has Two Sides,” a sermon by Fr Bradford
- “Judaism Doesn’t Guarantee Pro-Choice” by Rabbi Avi Shafran
- “From a Commentary on the Prophet Joel” by Saint Jerome
- “Heaven on Earth” by The Reverend Deacon Michael J. Connolly
- “The Growth of the Ordinariate,” remarks by Jacob Rees-Mogg, MP, well-known Catholic and Conservative Member of Parliament
- “Seventy Times Seven,” sermon preached by Father Bradford
- “The Pilgrims Blessing of Roncevalles” for Steven Hardy prior to his pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostella
- “To Pray for All Men” from a treatise on the Lord’s Prayer by St Cyprian
- “Remembrances of Saint Jean Vianney” by Abbé Francois Trochu
- “Consistent with Our Nation’s Traditions” from a concurring opinion by Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch in the American Legion v. American Humanist Association case
- “The Elixir” by The Revd Deacon Michael J. Connolly, an Archdeacon in the Armenian Catholic Eparchy of Our Lady of Nareg, who also teaches linguistics in Boston College and assists frequently at our Masses
- “Inside China’s War on Christians,” an article from The Wall Street Journal by Nina Shea, a fellow at the Hudson Institute and Bob Fu, a pastor and founder of ChinaAid.
- “The Act of Forgiveness,” an article by the Provost from The Oratory Parish Magazine, a publication of the Brompton (London) Oratory.
- “Using the Name of the Lord,” a sermon by Father Bradford
- “American Values,” an article by Joe Fitzgerald in the Boston Herald