The name of our parish paper, Contra Mundum, comes from the Latin phrase “Athanasius contra mundum” meaning “Athanasius against the world.” This phrase described our patron saint even in his own time, as he stood firmly for the fullness of the faith.
Fr. Bradford and the Congregation of Saint Athanasius have published Contra Mundum monthly since 1998. to provide religious instruction and news of the congregation. Contra Mundum includes articles and sermons by Fr. Bradford, articles and other writings by noted classic and contemporary authors, news and notes for the congregation, and announcements of upcoming events.
Parishioners as well as many outside the congregation subscribe. To receive Contra Mundum by mail, email the editor, Susan Russo, with your address.
The three most recent issues follow. The archives with all of the back issues are here.
- “Heaven on Earth” by The Reverend Deacon Michael J. Connolly
- “The Growth of the Ordinariate,” remarks by Jacob Rees-Mogg, MP, well-known Catholic and Conservative Member of Parliament
- “Seventy Times Seven,” sermon preached by Father Bradford
- “The Pilgrims Blessing of Roncevalles” for Steven Hardy prior to his pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostella
- “To Pray for All Men” from a treatise on the Lord’s Prayer by St Cyprian
- “Remembrances of Saint Jean Vianney” by Abbé Francois Trochu
- “Consistent with Our Nation’s Traditions” from a concurring opinion by Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch in the American Legion v. American Humanist Association case
- “The Elixir” by The Revd Deacon Michael J. Connolly, an Archdeacon in the Armenian Catholic Eparchy of Our Lady of Nareg, who also teaches linguistics in Boston College and assists frequently at our Masses
- “Inside China’s War on Christians,” an article from The Wall Street Journal by Nina Shea, a fellow at the Hudson Institute and Bob Fu, a pastor and founder of ChinaAid.
- “The Act of Forgiveness,” an article by the Provost from The Oratory Parish Magazine, a publication of the Brompton (London) Oratory.
- “Using the Name of the Lord,” a sermon by Father Bradford
- “American Values,” an article by Joe Fitzgerald in the Boston Herald
- “June is the Month of the Sacred Heart,” an extract from The Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus by the Revd H. Noldin, S.J. in 1883 and published in the June, 2016 issue of The Oratory Parish Magazine, the parish paper of the Brompton (London) Oratory
- “The Ratzinger Diagnosis,” an article by George Weigel, Distinguished Senior Fellow of the Ethics and Public Policy Center in Washington, D.C. and published in the April 26, 2019 edition of The Pilot
- “The Preciousness of the Sacrifice,” a sermon preached by Father Bradford in St Theresa of Ávila Church on May 9, 2019
- “Whom the Gods Would Destroy They First Make Mad,” an article by Fr Bradford reflecting on an editorial by Abigail Shrier in the May 3, 2019 edition of the Wall Street Journal
- “The Fear of the Lord,” an extract from his expositions of the Psalms by Saint Hilary (c.310-c.367), Bishop of Poitiers; Hilary is a Doctor of the Church and sometimes called the “Athanasius of the West”